I think it's sad that I even feel the need to write this. People can be so rude, hiding behind their phone or computer screens, and apparently get some kind of satisfaction tearing others apart with the words they type. I believe words are extremely powerful things, and we have a duty to use ours carefully. I myself have been in the battle of the flesh and used my words to do some damage to those I love, but you'll never find me seeking to attack another person from the safety of my computer, using my words to make someone else hurt.
The comment section of my blog and Facebook page have been the location of demeaning, snarky, and flat out abusive talk many times over the past three years. The more I grow, the more often it happens. Rude comments are a part of blogging- it's just what you get when you share your heart, thoughts, or opinion on the giant that is the Internet. I actually welcome differing opinions here at The Purposeful Housewife. We all have a tendency to see life through only our perspective, and it helps to hear from someone else what they think on a topic we all relate to. It helps us think outside our bubbles, gain understanding and grow. However, this blog is my space, my little corner of the Internet to say what I want to say, to share my heart and be vulnerable. Nobody has a right to slander me or anyone else here.
And so here I am, sitting at my dining room table, spending precious nap time writing a post about the rules of my comment section. Sad but very necessary. So here we go.
Commenting Rules for The Purposeful Housewife blog and Facebook Page
1. You must provide a valid email address to leave a comment. Your email will not be shared or misused. It is only there to ensure you're a real person with a valid comment, and to contact you further regarding your comment if the need arises.
2. Abusive comments will simply not be tolerated. I have a zero tolerance policy in regards to abusive language, bullying, and personal attacks. Comments like this will be deleted immediately, and since I stop reading as soon as I can see a comment is headed in a demeaning direction, your time taken to type will have been wasted.
3. Helpful and relevant links are welcome. If you have a link to another site or post relating to the post you're commenting on, feel free to share it! I have a spam guard on my blog and any random links from spammers that don't relate will automatically be deleted.
4. It's my call. If I feel that a comment crosses the line, is inappropriate or something i don't want on my blog, I will delete it. The comments that are and are not deleted are based on my judgement, because again, this is my blog.
5. Lend a hand. If you see an abusive comment on my Facebook page and it hasn't been deleted, please feel free to flag it for removal yourself. If there's one thing I need with four kids, it's a little help ;)
Blogging is such a cool gift. I really love it and the community it brings, especially for mothers. Please don't hesitate to leave a comment within the guidelines and have fun engaging with me as well as other readers here in this space. I hope these rules make everyone feel a little safer about commenting. Opinions are welcome, rude language and abusive attacks are not.